Code Enforcement/Building Inspector Office
Nick Nolton (607) 968-5175 or send email to Codes@SouthCorning.org
The building season is upon us. Most small projects do not require a building permit, but if the project involves structural changes, installation of a new heating system, or even replacing a roof, a permit is required. It is best to contact the Code Officer to determine if your project will need a permit, before you start. Permits are not required for the following:
- Construction or installation of one story detached structures associated with one or two family dwelling or multiple single-family dwelling (townhouse), which are used for tool and storage shed, playhouses, or similar uses, provided the gross floor area does not exceed 144 sq ft.
- Installation of swings and other playground equipment associated with one or two family dwelling or multiple single family dwellings (townhouses).
- Installation of swimming pools associated with a one or two family dwelling or multiple single family dwellings (townhouses) where such pools are designed for a water depth of less than 24 inches, and are installed entirely above ground.
- Construction of retaining walls unless such walls support a surcharge or impound Class I, II or IIIA liquids or are more than 4ft in height
- Construction of temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery
- Installation of awnings supported by an exterior wall of a one or two family dwelling or multiple single family dwellings (townhouses)
- Installation of partitions or movable cases less than 5’9” in height
- Painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, or other similar finish work
- Installation of UL listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, or cooling equipment or appliances
- Replacement of any equipment provided it does not alter the equipment’s listing, or render it inconsistent with the equipment’s original specifications.
- Repairs, provided that such repairs do not involve (i) the removal or cutting away of a load bearing wall, partition, or portion thereof, or of any structural beam or load bearing component; (ii) the removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a structure in a manner which effects egress; (iii) the enlargement, alteration, replacement, or relocation of any building system; or (iv) the removal from service of all or part of a fire protection system for any period of time
Click Here for NYS Codes
Please contact the Code Officer directly with questions at (607) 968-5175, or email to Codes@SouthCorning.org
The Code Officer does not have regularly scheduled office hours. Please contact Officer Nolton at the contact options posted.